Background





Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Week 13

Greetings, friendships! I hope this post finds you all well! It's crazy to think that this program is already starting to wind down and that we're having to figure out pre-departure stuff already :c But, that won't stop us from having buckets of fun while we're still here! So, here's a week-in-the-life from last week. And this one actually has pictures! :P Enjoy!

Monday:
Not a whole ton happened. It was a pretty chill day. In the evening, I had candlelight choir rehearsal, and this one had both the resort and studios choir members, and we all got to sing in a big, echo-y church which was super fun! We also ran through the entire program without stopping, and we all dispersed ourselves throughout the auditorium and stood by people from different sections. It was cool to be able to hear the other parts more distinctly. Plus, we also got...

MERCHANDISE!!!!!! This sweatshirt is ridiculously comfy.

Da sleeve.

We even get our own special Candlelight name tags! With a happy little Olaf! :D

Tuesday:
This day started off way neato because we got to do a special backstage tour of the TOWER OF TERROR!!!!!!!!!


TERROR!!!!! (Except for Marissa because this is her favorite attraction :P )

Take'n a photo where guests aren't allowed to go. Thug lyfe.

You're supposed to get the feeling that the hotel was just suddenly abandoned after the five passengers on the freight elevator mysteriously disappeared during a thunderstorm in 1930~mahumuna...(I forget the specific year it's supposed to be...oops...) There are also a ton of objects in there that either reference certain Twilight Zone episodes, or are THE ACTUAL PROPS FROM CERTAIN EPISODES!!!!

Walk'n through the boiler room on the way to...the elevator...

In the queue! SO CLOSE.

The first time, we rode it in full show with the lights and narration and everything. Clearly, some people were not ready for the pre-ride photo...

The SECOND time we rode it, we rode with no show, which means we did the drop entirely in the dark with no narration, so we had no idea when the drop was going to happen. And it was terrifying and fantastic. This picture was taken at the top of the ride. I was being blinded by the sunlight outside.

After all that awesomeness, I got coffee and derped around Downtown Disney by myself for a couple hours before my shift. Pretty great day overall!

Wednesday:
This was another relatively uneventful day, but in the middle of it, we had our housing pre-departure meeting. I seriously can't believe there's only 6 more weeks left of this thing! Now, me, three of my roommates, and a lot of the friends I've made here are planning on staying on after the program, so at least for us, our Disney adventure doesn't end so soon. But for my roommate, Brittany, and so many others in the program, it's all almost over, so our time with them is almost over too. It's really bittersweet because I'm so excited to get my own apartment and really get established out here and in Disney and make more memories with the ones who are staying, and I know that the ones who aren't are still going on to do amazing things! (Like get married! Yay Brittany!) But I also know that the college program is definitely its own unique dynamic and experience. We're all about to set out on different paths soon, but I'm going to try and make the most out of the time we have together on this particular path as long as we can :) 

Thursday:
Also a very neato day! Very different kind of neato, but nonetheless neato. For our class this week, we got to go help out at the Orange County Food Bank and pack food boxes for the elderly. It was actually tons of fun, as everybody had great energy and were all working really hard to help each other out. I essentially stacked boxes of milk, two by two, into food boxes at a very rapid pace for two hours...aaaaand I kinda really screwed up the right side of my back and my left hamstring from bending and twisting improperly...oops...but after a bunch of deep-tissue stretching and some stinky-but-effective salonpas patches, it's all better now :P



We were sort of having a contest with the Tuesday class to see which class could package the most boxes. They were able to fill around 1,100 boxes. We managed to fill over 1,600 - which also happens to be the college program record. Booyah. *smug face*

After a quick lunch at home, my roomies and I headed to the park to get some special roomie pictures in front of the iconic landmarks in Disneyland.



We still had some time to kill before I went into work, so we hung around Tomorrowland for a bit. We went on Star Tours, which is amazing and I was totally geeking out on it and really really want to ride it more. Apparently, you can visit all kinds of places in the Star Wars universe on that ride - ours went pod-racing on Tatooine. Next, we went over to the place that sells Baymax cups so Marissa and Brittany could get them. Right next to that was a Jedi training show where a bunch of little kids got to go up and learn how to use a lightsaber, but, the middle of the show was interrupted by THE DARK SIDE!!!!! However, Darth Vader and Darth Maul were eventually defeated by the newly-acquired lightsaber skills of the young padawans and their surprisingly adept grasp of the Force. It was entirely adorable. 

We also met Baymax and Hiro!


After that, I was super-closer at work, so I stayed there until 1:10 am. FUN TIMES. It was pretty dang boring for most of the shift. The most exciting part was going on a hanger run (retrieving all the hangers from the hanger-stands around the building) with only one spare hanger rack o__o By far, my most boring rotation was greeter - standing at the entrance of the costuming building and saying "hi" to everybody who comes in, being generally helpful if they need it, and telling people, "Excuse me, that's an emergency exit only. Please exit through checkout at the end of the building :D *twitch twitch*" I saw 7 people in two hours. I counted. Although one guy did try and give me an impromptu juggling lesson, which was pretty cool.   

Friday:
I worked and was super sore from the day before. 

Saturday:
Still super sore, this is where I attempted the deep-tissue work. I didn't have a tennis ball though, so I rolled my muscles over one of my sunflower seed butter jars :P 

I was a little bit desperate to have my muscles work properly this day, because I had my first dance audition. Ever. Not just Disney dance audition - dance audition, period.

I auditioned for the Pixar Play Parade, and, though I got cut in the first round, it was definitely a good experience. We waited in line for FOREVER, but I did get to go in with the first group, which was nice. I met some pretty cool people in line too. That's one thing that I'm actually really liking about going to all these auditions. It's really interesting to hear people's stories and be silly and get your mind off how nervous you are before the audition. It's also encouraging when you can talk to each other about your other audition experiences, and see that it's totally okay if you go to a million of them before actually landing a job. 

Closer to the audition time, it was starting to get darker outside, and it got pretty cold (like, in the 60's cold, but still :P). So, my muscles were now stiff in addition to still being strained! Perfect for a dance audition! When we finally got in there, we launched right into learning an across-the-floor combination. I was a little lost at first, because I couldn't see the instructor that well and they were using terminology that I am not familiar with, having mostly studied ballet with just smatterings of jazz and contemporary here and there. I mostly got it down, but then I freaked out because the casting directors were literally right in front of me while we were learning it. Also, part of the combination involved a double pirouette on the left side - my less-good and injured side, of course. As soon as I felt like I barely almost had a grasp of the combination, it was time to go across the floor two by two for the casting directors. I panicked, and all my technique went out the window, and I probably had my concentrating face on rather than a smile. I got cut. But it was okay. Now I know what to expect and what I can do better to prepare for the next one! And, I really did have fun doing it. 

After that, I came home, ate dinner, changed clothes, then met Brittany, Marissa, and her friend Jess at the park to go to the Mad T Party. It's basically a cover band and a DJ dressed like Alice in Wonderland characters, but more in the Tim Burton style. Also, there's alcohol, and I got my first mai-tai...in a light-up martini glass!

Wooo! Shiny!

Squoosh roomie selfie! (With Ben's nose photobombing)

They're getting rid of this show soon, and it was actually that particular Alice's last night (as I was informed by our friend Ben who's a regular there). We jammed it up and danced around rather goofily for a bit. The band looked like they were having tons of fun, and they were really entertaining to watch. It was a good time, and pretty chill for my first club-esque experience. After that, we all meandered around the parks, got some free chocolate samples at the Ghiradelli store, watched the tail end of the fireworks from the esplanade, fought our way to Adventuerland like salmon swimming upstream through the massive Saturday night crowd, then rode the Jingle Cruise as a hilariously punny way to end the evening. 

And there you have it! Stay tuned for...*drumroll*...WEEK 14!!!!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment